Sunday, June 15, 2014

Wedding Blogs Allowing Watermarks on Photos

A few years ago I wrote an "Open Letter to Wedding Bloggers" on my personal blog about the allowance and usage of watermarks on images.  I felt like I did a great job of outlining the reasons why it's important for a watermark to appear on an image - both for the photographer needing copyright protection and for the image protection of the clients featured in the photo.  Yet, not much has changed in the wedding blogger world.

There was a suggestion put forward for me to create a blogger list of shame for those blogs that don't allow watermarks, but I don't think that's nearly as helpful as highlighting all of the amazing and gracious wedding blogs that DO allow watermarking of images on their site.  I find it's far better for everyone involved to feed advertising dollars and attention to bloggers who are doing the right thing for their audience and content providers.  

Below is a list of blogs that allow watermarks ON your images, so that when your images are pinned or shared elsewhere from the blog, they can continue to be protected for you and your clients.  It's by no means a complete list, so if you know of more, PLEASE share them in the comments so we can keep growing this list to make it a great resource for all!  Special thanks to our awesome wedding photography colleagues Zofia Crosby, Adam George, and Dina Douglass who helped me update these resources for you.

Submission Links to Wedding Blogs that Allow Watermarks:


Anne Ruthmann is a lifestyle photographer in New York City. She spent 10 years practicing marketing & management in corporate and non-profit businesses before pursuing her passion for photography full-time in 2004 as an independent small business.  She loves helping others find creative and smart solutions to business problems.  Stay in touch on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this article and I had it in mind when I read about a new portrait photographer blog that doesn't allow watermarks. When I questioned the owner, she cited that no wedding or portrait blogs allow watermarks, etc. I came back to your post with the intent to screen capture a few images with watermarks from the sites you listed, but I couldn't find any actual watermarked images on the first three places I visited.(Grace Ormonde, Style Me Pretty & Rock n Roll Bride) Do you have any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately Oh Lovely Day specifically states in their submission info that the images must be without watermarks: http://www.ohlovelyday.com/submit-a-wedding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article .Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete