Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Balancing the Wheel of Life


When I saw this post recently on my friend Anne-Marie's blog, Soap & the Finer Things in Life, I immediately asked her if I could share it with you, and she was kind enough to say yes! I've known Anne-Marie since 1998 and she has always inspired me so much with her wise business advice - she was the first person that truly taught me how to price for profit, and we all know how important that is!

Anne-Marie learned about this from her friend Lynn Giuliani, a member of her Mastermind Group. Using this will give you a great start to balance your life to help you set your goals and priorities for 2009.

The excercise is simple.

1. Draw a circle (or if you're artistically challenged like me, trace a circle)

2. Divide your circle into 6 parts. Try to make them equal.

3. Label them: Financial, Physical, Social, Family, Mental and Spiritual



4. Take a few minutes to decide how you feel about each of these categories in your life. What is your level of satisfaction in each of these areas? Only you can determine what your level of satisfaction is. Your idea of how successful or happy you are will not be the same as your sister's, neighbor's or brother's. That's okay. This is an exercise just for you and you don't need to share it with anyone. Shade in your piece of the pie to your level of satisfaction.

5. Cut out your wheel. Does it roll? If it doesn't roll, think of the area that your wheel is flat in. Is this an area you'd like to see improvement in? Make some goals around it.



Finding the balance in life is a constant negotiation with all six of these areas. Doing this quick and easy exercise will help you determine where to put your energies and focus towards in 2009.

Thanks again to Anne-Marie for sharing her post & photos with us. She is writing a series of post to start off the new year with business advice for soapmakers - but I promise, there are some gems in there that can help us all - no matter what business we're in! Be sure to check it out!

Christine Tremoulet is a Houston, Texas Hot Mama Boudoir photographer and wants you to have a Business of Awesome. She also runs Wholly Matrimony, a destination wedding blog. She is a creative geek, having blogged since 2000 at BigPinkCookie. When she isn't taking photos or knitting, she is busy devouring all the info related to Marketing & Social Media and its powers that she can find online. Follow her on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I just ran across this blog... and at the beginning of this post you said "she was the first person that truly taught me how to price for profit, and we all know how important that is!" and I was wondering if you could expand on that. I'm just getting started and trying to figure out what I should do about pricing. I've been looking at what other people do but How to price for profit sounds really helpful. Any advice you can give would be awesome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just made mine. I knew already what it would look like, but I like having the visual. It's going in my planner as a reminder to stick to my goals. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete