Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Joy of Risk

I wanted to share some personal thoughts that have been spinning around in my head lately. I hope they reach the eyes of someone who needs to see them...

If someone had told me before I started that I'd have to build my business three times, in three different states, over the course of three years, I would have laughed an unnatural and ridiculous laugh and then looked them dead in the face to say they were crazy. Yet, somehow I've managed to survive. Each change has brought unexpected good things which I never could have anticipated or planned for, and the future just keeps looking brighter.

There are a lot of naysayers to tell you that you can't do this, or shouldn't do that, and to them I say... phooey! Make your own path. Do what YOU love. Your passion will shine through and people will find you no matter where you are. Use risks as an opportunity to learn something new. Give yourself permission to not know everything, to be under-prepared, to make mistakes, to be vulnerable, and to learn something new from it. Take a leap on pure faith that things will work out for the best. Allow room for something unexpected to happen in your life- you might just be surprised by what it brings to your doorstep.

It's really amazing how the universe steps in to catch you... but only after you've already stepped off the cliff (figuratively, of course!) I still have fears about what the future holds... but I've been learning to spend more time focused on the possibilities rather than the potential pitfalls. Fear can be so paralyzing, but the lack of fear is infinitely powerful. - Anne

If my words aren't enough, here are a few more...
Famous Failures
The Last Lecture
Wisdom
Asking for What You Want
Make Some Damn Mistakes

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Anne. It was exactly what I needed, not because someone out in the crowd was doubting me, but because I was doubting me. Sometimes we just have to take rationality to take a hike; some dreams never make sense nor are they easy to achieve. But they're SO worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOD! This is like the dozenth thing in 3 days that has pointed me to the path I've been THINKING of taking.
    I'm starting my own 'image art' business...not quite ready for the photographer for hire thing...but this I'm ready to do.
    Literally TODAY I decided my name and had friends start on logo ideas and contacted another that has started their own business and may be able to help me with all the technical/legal junk.
    Scary and exciting all at once!

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good timing on my end too, Anne! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a small nervous breakdown this morning prompting me to put a "be back later" post-it on the office door of my day job and to get in the car and drive around bawling for 20 minutes until I regained composure. (This is so NOT me.) We are in our first year of business and there are so many other non-business related challenges that keep getting thrown at me. I feel so overwhelmed and exhausted and freaked out by how much I still have to do.

    This message is so timely to me today and I'm glad I'm seeing it right now when I can absorb it, as opposed to a few hours ago. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOVE this! And, I totally needed this just when I'm feeling like my acquaintances throw the "friends" cards when they want something from me (aka DISCOUNTS)! It's so disappointing to see that they don't fully support me like they say they do. If they were my real friends then they wouldn't be asking this of me. I do what I do because it's what I need to do to make a living, and here they are trying to cut me at the knees?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this and your other comments. Yes I needed to see this. I've been contemplating a move to France in the very near future but have wondered how is it going to all work? Will I find clients? I have always wanted to live in France. Love the comment to leave room for the unexpected. Must let Faith overcome Fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so true! When one door closes, another one always opens and it's almost always better than the first. Fear is one of the hardest things to conquer. It's also comforting to remember it's OK to make mistakes because everything in life is just practice so we can get better at the next thing.

    Thanks Anne for bing a love cat. You're my hero!!!

    ReplyDelete